DRV8305-Q1 is a highly integrated three-phase brushless DC gate driver, and the UCC27211A-Q1, a high-current half-bridge gate drive. For powertrain applications such as transmission pumps or engine cooling fans, the DRV8305-Q1 features a smart gate-drive architecture with programmable slew-rate control that allows optimization of MOSFET electromagnetic compliance (EMC). With an operating ambient temperature range of -40 to 150°C, the DRV8305-Q1 meets AEC-Q100 Grade 0 automotive temperature specification. Other features and benefits include:
- Start-stop support: The device operates down to 4.4 V to support start-stop functionality.
- Reduced board space: The DRV8305-Q1’s integrated 3.3V or 5V linear regulator, three current-sense amplifiers and smart gate-drive architecture reduces board size and eliminates up to 20 external components.
- Fault protection: Advanced on-chip protection with detailed fault diagnostics guard against overtemperature, undervoltage lockout, MOSFET shoot-through and overcurrent events..
For automotive designers looking for design flexibility, the 100-V UCC27211A-Q1 half-bridge gate driver supports both brushed and brushless DC motor applications. Designing with individual half bridges allows placement of the gate driver close to the MOSFETs, minimizing parasitic inductances and simplifying overall board layout. It offers the following benefits:
- With fastest propagation delays at 15 nsec, fast rise and fall times of 7 nsec and a 4-A peak gate drive, the device packs high performance into a 4.89 x 3.9-mm package size.
- Robust protection: The UCC27211A-Q1’s negative voltage rating of -12V protects the driver from potentially damaging voltage spikes.
The 9 x 9-mm DRV8305-Q1, in a 48-pin thermally enhanced thin-quad flat pack (HTQFP) package is priced at $2.65 (1,000). The DRV8305-Q1 evaluation module is available at $99, to assist with configuring a three-phase motor drive and control system.
The UCC27211A-Q1, in an 8-pin SOIC package with PowerPAD packaging is $1.77 (1000).