Wind River's security profile for the next generation version of its VxWorks real-time operating system (RTOS) adds advanced security capabilities to VxWorks 7 to protect Internet of Things (IoT) devices, data, and intellectual property.
Security Profile for VxWorks delivers capabilities to protect connected devices at every stage, including, boot-up, operation, data transmission, and powering down. It also effectively protects intellectual property from piracy and code from reverse engineering. Security Profile provides the following comprehensive set of software-based security features:
- Secure boot: Verifies binaries at every stage of the boot-up process
- Secure run-time loader: prevents unauthorised execution and other forms of tampering with code
- Advanced user management: protects devices from unauthorised access and enables the definition and enforcement of user-based policies and permissions
- Network security: incorporates the latest Wind River security protocols, such as Wind River SSL, SSH, IPsec, and IKE to effectively secure network communications.
- Encrypted containers: supports TrueCrypt-compatible AES-encrypted file containers
For security-critical applications, the profile can be enhanced and seamlessly integrated with Wibu-Systems' CodeMeter hardware- and software-based solution that has been tested and validated for interoperability.
“The most robust security is the one that precedes the attack and evolves in parallel with all other technologies, while meeting rising market needs,” said Oliver Winzenried, CEO and co-founder of Wibu-Systems. “The integration of Wibu's CodeMeter solution with VxWorks represents a significant milestone that will safeguard cyber-physical systems in industry, healthcare, energy, transportation, and military environments.”
“With security becoming increasingly more critical as devices become more connected, hold more data, and contain valuable IP that must be protected, this security profile delivers a comprehensive set of security features to protect devices and data at every stage,” adds Dinyar Dastoor, vice president of product management at Wind River.
The features available as part of Security Profile can be individually upgraded to newer versions without disrupting the OS core or other technologies in an installation.
Wind River and