The new reference designs simplify and enhance the usability of the built-in I2C, SPI and User Flash Memory functions in the MachXO2 device’s Embedded Function Block (EFB).
Five new demonstration designs and three updated application notes focused on the embedded, Flash memory-based EFB are also now available.
Since the MachXO2 family’s production release, hundreds of customers have utilized the EFB’s built-in I2C, SPI and User Flash Memory functions to interface with microprocessors, microcontrollers, memories and other system peripherals in applications such as I/O expansion and bridging, data storage, configuration and power sequencing. Now, the new reference designs extend EFB ease-of-use with ready-to-use RTL code for the following functions, each with standard data and command interfaces:
- I2C-Slave (Lattice reference design number RD1124)
- SPI-Slave (RD1125)
- UFM access (RD1126)
- Embedded Programming (RD1129)
The RTL code is fully commented and parameterized, so it can be easily edited for customized implementations.
The five new demonstration designs implement the EFB reference designs on Lattice low cost hardware development kits, including the discounted MachXO2 Pico Development Kit, in the following system configurations:
- I2C Master with I2C Slave (Lattice demonstration design number UG55)
- SPI Master with SPI Slave (UG56)
- Master I2C & SPI Using ‘C’ and the LatticeMico8 Microcontroller (UG54)
- Programming via the Wishbone Bus Interface (UG57)
- Embedded Programming via I2C (UG58)
The designs, each with commented, pre-verified RTL and C code, are easily re-usable to help engineers get a head start on their own implementations. Updated documentation for MachXO2 programming, configuration and EFB hard IP functions can be found in the following application notes:
- TN1204 – MachXO2 Programming and Configuration Usage Guide
- TN1205 – Using User Flash Memory and Hardened Control Functions in MachXO2 Devices User’s Guide
- TN1246 – Using User Flash Memory and Hardened Control Functions in MachXO2 Devices Reference Guide
Availability and Pricing
Lattice's entire portfolio of reference designs optimized for the MachXO2 family can be downloaded at no cost from the Lattice website