acam-messelectronic GmbH is a member of the ams group specialising in the sensor industry. The design of new ultrasonic flow meters can be simplified with the TDC-GP30, allowing manufacturers to develop cheaper, more compact and energy-efficient ultrasonic meters. The TDC-GP30 is a System-on-Chip solution with extremely low power consumption, which under-takes all the measurement tasks up to the calibrated output value.
The main objectives of the TDC-GP30 development were:
- A universal solution for ultrasonic heating and water meters that is easy to adapt.
- A single-chip solution for different industrial applications and for pure flow and/or volume measurement.
- All flow, volume and temperature calculations to be done directly by TDC-GP30.
- An external µP to be used only for the interfaces to LCD, wireless and other standard ap-plications and no longer a part of the electronics assembly required by the legal metrology.
- An integrated Standard Pulse Interface that allows a one-to-one coupling in the electronic assembly of mechanical and hybrid measuring instruments. Pulses equivalent to those of mechanical measuring instruments can be generated. Existing processor solutions for mechanical meter types, as well as their software, remain mostly unaffected in the process, exchanging a mechanical flow measurement (e.g. with a rotor) for an ultrasonic metering tube.
The TDC-GP30 functions as a complete front-end solution with integrated digital signal processing (32-bit µP) up to the calibrated output signal - a single chip solution delivering digital volume output through UART, Pulse and SPI, so that the subsequent standard MCU can be used exclusively for the management of communication of the measurement device - e.g. for wireless.