Suited for supplying point-of-load power to FPGAs, ASICs, and microprocessors, the module is pin-to-pin compatible with the company’s ISL8225M 30A power module, expanding the output current to 40A and delivering up to 100W output power and enabling a single PCB design across platforms. The ISL8240M is also capable of delivering up to 240A output when six modules in parallel operation are current shared.
The ISL8240M achieves greater than 90% power efficiency and operates without derating at full power over a wide temperature range. The module also provides over-temperature, over-current and over-voltage protection.
Like all of Intersil’s power modules, the ISL8240M is a turnkey solution that requires minimal design since only six external passive parts are required. The ISL8240M fits in a 17 x 17 mm footprint. Excellent thermal performance eliminates the need for heat sinks, further streamlining power supply design and reducing design and manufacturing risk and increasing reliability.
• input voltage range: 4.5V to 20V
• adjustable output range: 0.6V to 2.5V
• capable of providing two separate outputs up to 20A per channel or a single 40A output with current sharing up to 6 modules in parallel operation for 240A
• achieves >90% efficiency (12Vin, 2.5Vout) at 40A
• full suite of protection features: over-current, over-/under-voltage, and over-temperature monitoring
The ISL8240M costs $39.85 (1,000): ISL8240MEVAL3Z and ISL8240MEVAL4Z provide an evaluation platform for the ISL8240M and are priced at $88.00.