“The IoT has significantly changed the embedded landscape,” said Dinyar Dastoor, vice president of product management at Wind River. “An RTOS must deliver not only the expected core real-time, deterministic performance and reliability, but an entirely new level of value that is demanded by the highly connected, security conscious, remotely-managed IoT world.”
VxWorks has been re-architected with a highly modular approach leading to the separation of the VxWorks core operating system from packages such as the file system or networking stack. As a result, individual applications can now be updated at any time without requiring a rework or retest of the entire system, increasing scalability and the ability to quickly adjust to market changes.
The latest release of VxWorks includes the following features and enhancements:
• Modularity: a modular approach allows you to apply targeted, efficient upgrades to packages and protocols without changing the system core which minimises testing and re-certification efforts.
• Security: a comprehensive set of built-in security features includes secure data storage, tamper proof design, secure upgrade, root of trust, and user and policy management.
• Safety: there is enhanced functionality to address safety applications in medical, industrial, transportation, aerospace and defence.
• Scalability: a combination of the microkernel and the standard kernel, built on the same VxWorks platform, allows you to reduce development and maintenance costs by using one RTOS foundation across different classes of connected devices, from small-footprint consumer wearables to large networking equipment.
• Connectivity and Graphics: Support for a broad range of industry-leading standards and protocols such as USB, CAN, Bluetooth, FireWire, and Continua, as well as out-of-the-box, high-performance networking capabilities. The graphics ready platform includes a new highly efficient stack based on the published OpenVG API, hardware-assisted graphics drivers and the Tilcon graphics designer tool.