The product is an ANSI/VITA 42.3-2014-compliant PCI Express interface XMC form factor serial advanced technology attachment (SATA) solid state drive (SSD). As part of Microsemi’s TRRUST- Stor self-encrypting drive (SED) technology offerings, the XMC offers powerful key management methods. In the most advanced method, no encryption key is stored in the SSD, leaving data forensically unrecoverable.
Typical embedded systems using secure SSDs require a bolt-on external chassis for the drives, adding weight and size to the device. Microsemi solves the problem by offering an XMC form factor that plugs directly into the host card and eliminates the need for an external enclosure. The advanced TRRUST-Stor family of secure SSDs includes advanced security features such as hardware-based AES256 encryption and advanced key management systems.
“Microsemi’s legacy of providing the most secure data protection now extends into the card level XMC format, delivering the highest levels of security and reliability for demanding embedded applications in the industrial and defense markets,” said Bill Sorrentino, senior tactical marketing manager for Microsemi's memory and storage business. “This solution is ideal for a variety of embedded size, weight and power (SWaP)-constrained applications requiring large amounts of secure storage.”
The XMC SSD has a layered security protocol allowing a hardware or software command to erase the encryption key in less than 30 msec and erase full flash storage media in less than 10 seconds with no trace of recoverable data.
Key features include:
• XMC x2 PCIe interface per ANSI/VITA 42.3-2014
• XMC SATA interface (configurable)
• Capacity: 256 GB and 512 GB reliable SLC NAND flash
• Up to 185 MB/sec read/write speed
• Key management: multiple modes, including customer-supplied keys
• Hardware-based AES-256 XTS encryption
• TRRUST-Purge clears encryption key in less than 30 msec
• Hardware based fast erase, erasing the entire drive in less than 10 seconds with validation
• Industrial temperature range
• Leading-edge fast sanitisation speed
• Military sanitisation methods/protocols